The main prize for just IMAGINE if…2020 is a package of research and Business School support from Durham University valued at £70,000.
The University will work with the winner to identify the most relevant pool of research expertise that will most benefit their product and development of their business. To see examples of previous/current Durham projects tackling the Sustainable Development Goals, look at the Durham University webpages, including those of our Global Challenges Research Fund Centre for Doctoral Training, the Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience, and the Durham Energy Institute.
A 12 month package of support to the winner will be provided by Durham University Business School.
Our sponsors are also providing a range of additional support packages to the winner, which with the University support yields a total prize value in excess of £100,000:
- Pro bono legal support from Hogan Lovells, a leading international law firm
- An Innovation Integrator business diagnostic tool from CPI, a leading independent technology innovation centre and a founding member of the UK Government’s High Value Manufacturing Catapult. Their contribution to the prize also includes further feasibility and technical evaluation work and a session with CPI’s bid development team to assess any likely follow on funding routes (subject to good alignment technically with one of CPI’s business units), and support from CPI Enterprises including a concept and pitch review, and development session, followed by the opportunity to pitch the idea to members of CPI Enterprises’ high profile Investment Committee, and assessment for sweat equity investment
- From Young Foodies, the UK’s support hub business from start up’s in the consumer products sector: 12 months of access to members only discounts and resources from YF Community, business mentoring (up to 1 hour/month) from Young Foodies’ founders (YF Growth Consultancy), £2000 credit for training from a Young Foodies Academy, support in recruiting an intern from a vetted candidate pool (Young Foodies Talent), and a one day workshop (‘MOT’) to run a full deep dive on how your business operations are running and performing, with a detailed list of quick-wins, and larger projects to step-change your business*
- From Morgan IAT, who are a UK leader in the design, development and manufacture of innovative products for medical and commercial industries: the opportunity to spend a day at their site in Petersfield working with their teams in the research and development, engineering and commercial departments; experts in taking innovative ideas from the back of a napkin stage, right through to commercial success in the marketplace, Morgan IAT’s immersive Innovation & Technology clinic is designed to cover every stage of the product development journey (depending on the innovation and individuals concerned, there may also be a further opportunity for a longer-term mentorship)*
All ten finalists will spend two days at Durham University Business School (31st March-1st April 2020) attending a range of workshops, run by and working with Business School academics and expert businesspeople. This will include application of the Business Model Canvas concept in full, to their business idea and an Innovation seminar, run by CPI, the Centre for Process Innovation.
All ten finalists will also receive:
- Expert support in public speaking from One Young World in order to prepare for the delivery of their pitch at the just IMAGINE if…2020 final
- An invitation to attend a half-day workshop with the award-winning marketing team at Ella’s Kitchen – the UK’s number one baby food brand – to experience how to create brand love and trust in a unique and ownable way (likely date, subject to change: 3rd April 2020)
- A 1-hour Investor Pitch Deck review with Corporate Finance Experts at YF Funding, and £100 credit towards a readymade business template from Young Foodies
*If these packages are judged by the panel to not be relevant to the overall winner of just IMAGINE if…2020, (an) alternate finalist(s) will be offered these elements of the prize at their sole discretion
24th Mar 22: Competition final in Durham
July 21 – March 22: Support programme for finalists
12th July 21: Relaunch of just IMAGINE if…2022
30th Mar 20: Competition final POSTPONED
4th Mar 20: finalists announced
9th Feb 20: Competition closes
26th Nov 19: Competition opens
25th Nov 19: just IMAGINE if…2020 launch